Transport explosives for civil use

Any person or company that wants to transport explosives for civilian use within the Member States of the European Union, must have permission from the countries from which, through which and to which these explosives are transported. For transportation in the Netherlands, you can apply for permission at the ILT.

Scepylt in use again as from 1 February 2018

The Scepylt IT system used by the Human Environment and Transport Inspectorate (ILT) will be in operation again as from 1 February 2018. Requests for permission for intra-Community transport of explosives can therefore be dealt with faster.

However, this only applies to routes that pass through two or more of the following EU Member States that are also members of Scepylt: Belgium, Germany, France, the Netherlands, Portugal, Slovenia, Spain and the United Kingdom.

Submit application where explosives were obtained

Applications must be submitted in the Member State where the explosives are obtained. There is no need to submit an application in the other Member States concerned. Once all the Member States concerned have given their consent, the Member State from where the transport begins will print the authorization and send it (in triplicate) to the supplier of the explosives.

In order to make the transport flow of explosives clear and verifiable, the ILT has set the maximum validity for permission for intra-Community transport within the Netherlands on one year.

How can you request permission?

You can apply for permission of the transport of explosives by using a special application form. You can submit your application via the digital mailbox of the ILT.

Treatment Period

After the ILT has received your application, you will receive an acknowledgment. The ILT will assess your application as soon as possible. Please allow up to 2 weeks.

Please note, a fee

The ILT charges 122.00 euros for granting permission. You must pay this fee prior to the treatment of your request. You will receive an invoice together with the acknowledgement.

Provide a transmission license

To be allowed to transport explosives, the person or company to receive these explosives, (the purchaser or acquirer) must have a transfer license. Such a license is issued by the competent authority of the place of destination of the explosives. In the Netherlands the competent authority is the Municipality.

Note, care for a suitable means of transport

The company that transports explosives must do so in a vehicle that meets the requirements set in the European treaty ADR.

Do not forget to apply for a production site

In case a manufacturer wants to produce explosives or an importer wants to import explosives from outside Europe, he must apply for a production location code. A production location code is part of the unique identification code that has to be affixed to each explosive. The purpose of that is to be able to trace the origin of the explosive (track and trace) at any time. You can apply for a production code at the ILT.

Please note, do not forget the identification code

You are required to affix the identification code to each of the explosives.