International shipment of waste

If you wish to import waste from, export waste to or transport waste through an EU Member State, you must comply with the Waste Shipments Regulation or WSR (EEC Regulation 1013/2006). The EVOA/TFS office, part of the Netherlands Human Environment and Transport Inspectorate (ILT), supervises waste import or export.

Permit requirements

The WSR sets out the procedures for cross-border shipments of waste. A permit may be required. The type of permit depends on what kind of waste you want to transport, the method of waste processing and the country of destination. You can request a permit by sending a notification of the planned waste shipments to the ILT EVOA/TFS office if the Netherlands is the country of dispatch. See also the Regulation 1013/2016  (WSR) consolidated version of 1-1-2018.

Notification process

For instructions on sending in notifications, please read the Guideline for Submitting a Notification.

Notify the Inspectorate 4 months in advance

All authorities involved will check the notification. If necessary, they will ask additional questions. The process may take 3 to 4 months.

To avoid delay, please provide all the necessary information correctly and at the same time. If you have any questions or comments, please contact the ILT.

Digital Notification Advisor (DNA)

You must send in a notification document and a movement document for exporting waste from the Netherlands. You can use the Digital Notification Advisor DNA Regelhulp (DNA tool, only in Dutch). With this application you can fill in the documents digitally. You will receive a unique set of numbers for the notifications with the DNA.

If you want to use the DNA tool, or you need more information, please send an email to

How to reduce the processing time of a notification

Make sure your notification is structured clearly: number the attachments and add a bookmark. A set of tabs (in Dutch, English and German) is available to help you build a notification file.

If you have repetitive notifications (the same notifier, producer, processor and waste stream), please state the number of the previous notification. If the inspectorate asked you for more information for a similar notification, please add this information to the new notification file.

Importing waste from a country outside the EC

When importing waste from a country outside the European Community to a Dutch processor you need a financial guarantee. You must provide a copy of the deposit, bank guarantee or insurance and a statement from the authority of dispatch showing that the deposit is present as well as a calculation of the deposit amount.

Sending in a notification

Notifications of international waste shipments, including attachments, can be sent to:

The Human Environment and Transport Inspectorate (ILT)
Department EVOA
PO Box 24062

If you use the DNA tool, you can upload the attachments to the notification on our website.

Please note: The signed original notification documents, movement document and bank guarantee must be sent by post.

Sending in movement documents

All movement documents, i.e. shipment announcements, certificates that the waste has been recovered or disposed, and cancellations can be submitted either by using the electronic data interchange system, by email to or by fax to number +31 88 602 9051. 

Overview of decisions online

On Beschikkingen online (Online overview of decisions, only in Dutch) you will find an overview of issued decisions on notifications of bringing waste within or outside Dutch territory.

Procedure in case of change of company name or legal entity

Foreign or Dutch waste companies involved in the a notification process must inform the inspectorate directly if the name, legal seat or legal entity of their company changes. You can do this by sending an email to Please also mention the current notifications.

You must provide a document from the Chamber of Commerce for the new company. With this document, the inspectorate is able to see if the change is only a name change. In case of a name change, there will be no consequences for the current notifications. The change is seen as additional information for your notifications. 

Please note: If the legal entity of the company changed, current notifications will no longer be valid! They will be closed immediately.

Permits for Dutch pre-consented facility

The inspectorate also provides permits to Dutch pre-consented facilities. If the legal entity of the company changes, this permit may be terminated.