Required documents

The transport of dangerous goods requires the necessary documentation, specifying what the load consists of and what quantities are transported. The ADNR indicates what information must be reported.

The documentation needs to contain at least the following:

  • the correct transport name
  • class and sub-class (if applicable)
  • UN number, preceded by the letters UN
  • packaging group (if applicable)
  • number and type of package and total quantity of dangerous goods

Furthermore, chapter 5.4 of the ADNR stipulates a number of special requirements concerning documentation, for example written instructions and additional conditions. Special requirements are also drawn up for the following:

  • waste materials
  • heated goods
  • infectious goods
  • radioactive goods
  • limited quantities
  • salvage packaging
  • empty, unclean packaging and tanks

Obligation to report the transport of dangerous goods on Dutch inland waterways (IVS90)

You are legally obligated to report to the first IVS (Information and Shipping Tracking System) post on your route if:

A. You are sailing on the Dutch (main) waterways as stated in the Regulations for Communication on Inland Waterways and:

  • you are transporting dangerous goods listed in the VBG (Regulations for the Transport of Dangerous Goods on Inland Waterways 1997) and/or
  • your vessel is longer than 110 m
  • your vessel is a barge train longer than 140 m and wider than 15 m, and/or
  • your vessel is an ocean-going vessel or a passenger ship and/or
  • you are carrying 'special cargo'. 

B. You are crossing the Dutch border at Lobith, on both entry and departure (checkpoint: CBS Lobith).
If your cargo is on the ADNR 2003 list, note the UN number, the class (if applicable), the classification code and the packaging group (provided by your shipper). Ships that are not legally obligated to report are nevertheless asked to do so at the first IVS post along their route. See the overview map.

Container or vehicle load certificate

Prior to a sea voyage (ADNR, margin number 5.4.2.), dangerous goods in CTUs (Cargo Transport Units, the collective name given to containers, lorries, tankers, etc.) should be accompanied by a container/vehicle load certificate in which the unit identification number is stated along with an official declaration that the ADNR conditions are met. The load certificate must be fully completed and signed, otherwise the cargo will not be released for sea transport.